Connecticut State Department of Education
Call (1-800-822-6832) for more information.
Download and print an application.

Certification Information - Trade Technologies and Secondary Academic Subjects

Thank you for your interest in the Connecticut Technical High School System. We have changed our application requirements to be more consistent with the needs of our school system and our curriculum.

To teach in the Connecticut Technical High School System:  A teacher must hold a valid certificate appropriate for the assignment or position. The certificate must be issued by the Connecticut State Department of Education.  An out-of-state certificate is NOT acceptable for holding a regular, contracted position in the Connecticut Technical High School System. 
Please note: If you are not currently eligible for certification, but would like to teach secondary academic subjects (English, mathematics, science, or history/social studies) in Connecticut, there are many options available.  For more information, go to the Department of Higher Education (DHE) web site at:http://www.ctdhe.org/edinfo/pdfs/Teach.pdf or to the State Department of Education (SDE) web site at: http://www.sde.ct.gov/sde/cwp/view.asp?a=2613&Q=321230
Certification Requirements for Trade Technology Teachers (endorsement #090)
Our requirements for initial hiring include holding a valid Connecticut teaching certificate, eight years of employment in the trade, and expertise in all major areas of the curriculum with any applicable licenses.  Teachers are expected to have also taken two courses (VTE 113 and VTE 116), offered at Central Connecticut State University (CCSU), prior to teaching in our schools.  However, an applicant who is otherwise eligible for certification may be issued an interim educator certificate, valid for one year, to allow time to complete the required course work, which will also include one specific course of study in special education.  We would then expect that course work will be taken in the next available sessions. The VTE courses cover the basics of teaching pedagogy and classroom management.  Teachers who take these two courses prior to their first year of teaching are generally more successful in the classroom.  New students should complete a CCSU Application Form and a Registration Form to sign up for a particular course. Returning students are only required to complete a Registration Form. CCSU will be offering VTE 113 and VTE 116 every semester.  For additional information, visit the CCSU website at:http://www.ccsu.edu/page.cfm?p=17846

To apply for a #090 endorsement, submit the following credentials to the Bureau of Educator Standards and Certification:

  • Application (Form ED 170) and $200 money order or certified bank check, payable to “Treasurer, State of CT”;
  • A copy of a high school diploma or a high school transcript;
  • Verification from an employer of 8 years trade experience in the specific trade technology subject requested.  If self-employed, the experience must be notarized;
  • Official CCSU transcripts if you have completed VTE 113 or VTE 116.

Bureau of Educator Standards and Certification Contact Information:

Connecticut State Department of Education
Bureau of Educator Standards and Certification
P. O. Box 150471 - Room 243
Hartford, Connecticut 06115-0471


  • Phone: 860/713-6969 Consultant support available 12:00 - 4:00. Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday. General questions only.
  • Fax: 860/713-7017
  • Web site: www.ct.gov/sde  Download all forms, fact sheets, regulations, other certification information.

To download Form  ED 170, go to:

To download a list of approved special education courses, go to:
If you need to complete course work at Central Connecticut State University (CCSU), go to the CCSU website at:

To print the application, go to:

For more information on the Connecticut Technical High School System (CTHSS), including job vacancies, go to the CTHSS web site at: www.cttech.org.


25 Industrial Park Road, Middletown, CT 06457 / Phone: 1-800-822-6832
Home | CT.gov Home | Send Feedback |

State of Connecticut Disclaimer, Privacy Policy, Nondiscrimination Policy and Web Site Accessibility Policy.
Copyright © 2013-2014 State of Connecticut