For School Instructional (Trade) Staff
All applications need to be mailed, interoffice mailed or hand delivered by the closing date and time to:
Department of Education
Human Resources Recruitment
450 Columbus Blvd
Hartford, CT 06103
How to Apply – Complete an Application Packet
- Complete a State of Connecticut Employment Application – CT-HR-12 (see below for downloadable .pdf version).
- Attach a cover letter (letter of intent) and a resume.
- Attach proof of Connecticut Certification. (If you are not certified please see below)
- Include three (3) current pertinent professional references and their contact information
- Attach a copy of Nursing License (for Health Trades only)
Please review the following application instructions to ensure that you submit all of the required documents by the closing date. Incomplete applications will not be considered for review.
- Please do not type in your social security number. You must list the position title you are seeking and the location OR the number that immediately follows the position title, i.e. TESOL Instructor - #12345. Applications submitted without this information will not receive further consideration.
- When applying to a Pool posting, you must list the position you are seeking as well as the location(s) of the position(s) on the position/job title line of the application, i.e. TESOL Instructor at Abbott THS and Bullard-Havens THS. Applications submitted without this information will not receive further consideration.
- Applications will not be accepted if they are not signed or if they are dated longer than 3 months prior to the date of submission.
- Applications will not be accepted for positions that are not posted.
- If you are applying for more than one job, a separate application packet needs to be completed and submitted for each one.
- Application packets must be received by 4:00 p.m. on the closing date to be considered for review. Postmarked dates are not accepted.
- If a position is posted for 7 days and no applications are received, the Bureau of Human Resources may find the need to repost. If this is the case, all interested parties will need to reapply unless otherwise stated in the job posting.
In order to apply for Connecticut Certification for a Trade Instructor (#090, Occupational Subject, Vocational Technical Schools), the following list of requirements must be met:
- Eight (8) years of employment experience in the field for which the certificate is to be endorsed. This may include up to five (5) years of apprenticeship, and/or specialized schooling from an accredited post-secondary institution. A high school diploma from a technical high school may count for no more than two (2) years of experience.
- Trade teachers are required to complete the following courses: VTE 113, Intro to Teaching Vocational-Technical Education; VTE 116, Teaching Vocational-Technical Education; and a course of study in Special Education. These courses cover the basics of teaching pedagogy and classroom management. You have up to one (1) year to complete these courses while you are teaching within our system. All courses are offered through Central Connecticut State University (CCSU), but will be held at the Institute of Technology and Business Development (ITBD) in downtown New Britain, unless otherwise noted. The approved course of study in Special Education can be taken at CCSU, a Community College or online at an accredited college.
- An Instructor in the Construction Trades and the Health Technology programs must hold the appropriate contractor or Nursing License or an appropriate certification. A Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) with the proper endorsements to drive a Student Transportation Vehicle (STV) is required within the first year of employment.
For further information you may contact the Bureau of Human Resources at 860-713-6692 or 860-713-6694.
Please click here for downloadable CT-HR-12 Application. Please note that you need to save this .pdf file to your computer first, before filling it out.
If you want to download the Adobe Acrobat version and you do not have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your computer download the free Adobe Acrobat Reader.
The Connecticut State Department of Education is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer.