Students enrolled in the CTECS automotive collision repair and refinishing program are given instruction in and demonstrate skills and knowledge in most aspects of the collision repair and auto body repair field including safety, tools and equipment, damage analysis, component replacement, sheet metal straightening and filling, welding, painting and refinishing, detailing, and introduction to frame straightening and mechanical systems.
Students receive over 1400 hours of time in the trade technology area (theory and practical)
Students are eligible to participate in work-based learning (WBL) in grades 11 & 12. This program allows companies to hire students during the school day to work at a dealership, independent repair shop, or parts supplier. Students will get credit for their work experience and it is an important pipeline for getting our students into industry.
To learn more about our program offerings, please view our Program of Studies.
• Practice Shop Safety
• Understand career opportunities in the transportation industry
• Demonstrate collision repair techniques to repair “non-structural” damage
• Demonstrate tool and equipment usage and operation
• Replace, adjust, and align auto body components such as doors, hoods, and fenders
• Diagnose and repair motor vehicle systems to acceptable industry and safety standards
• Utilize “high-tech” industry equipment such as MIG welders, plastic welders, frame machines, computerized body measurement systems, computerized estimating systems.
• Demonstrate professional customer service skills used in the industry
• Utilize repair information and body measurement data during damage analysis and repair
• I-CAR: ProLevel 1 Non-structural repair, ProLevel 1 Refinishing
• S/P-2 Safety certification
• Collision Repair Technician
• Auto Body Painter
• Collision Repair Parts Specialist
• Damage Estimator
• Manufacturer’s Representative
• Equipment Painter
• Insurance Company Estimator
Program Locations in CT
• A. I. Prince Tech, Hartford
• Ella T. Grasso Tech, Groton
• H.C. Wilcox Tech, Meriden
• Harvard H. Ellis Tech, Danielson
• Oliver Wolcott Tech, Torrington
• Platt Tech, Milford
• Vinal Tech, Middletown
• W.F. Kaynor Tech, Waterbury